Living Life Together

So Ella has been bugging me to update. :P Well, not really. But she did ask me to! And when she asks me it reminded me that what we do, or don’t do, can have a bigger effect on others than we first realise. I'm not talking about doing the dishes so you mum doesn’t have to or not doing them so your brother does… I'm talking more about donate blood and saving a life.

Last weekend I had the amazing privilege to go on a Vetamorphus* retreat as a pair of extra hands. I ended up heading a group of girls from Tatachilla school, the Tat Rats. The main focus of this retreat was community and service. What is community? How can we serve in that community? We were faced with questions about how we can change the world around us. Funny thing is, just before that, at TNL** we had been discussing how you change the world around you from birth.

So what is community? To me a community is a group of people doing life together, wither that is a large or small aspect.  How do we then show love to our community or communities? By service; Pay for someone’s coffee! Give a busker a buck. Mow granny’s lawn, for free. Buy socks for the homeless. Donate an hour or two to a soup kitchen! If you really want to have an effect on someone’s life, a lasting effect, do something for them that they need done.

So often in life I have passed up chances to serve others. I think it’s time to take those chances, to live in real community. To do life side by side with everyone I come in contact with by serving them in every way I can. Selfless, humble, love. That is what I need to show in my life.


*Vetamorphus is a certificate III in Christian Theology and Ministry
**TNL or Thursday Nite Live is a kids club run by my church that which I am a 

Comments

Popular Posts