Drunk.

So this alcohol thing. Its fun right?
The whole 'lets go get smashed!', isn't just what ya do?
Can I be the first to say that I don't understand this culture.

Let me be square with you here. I am not writing this from a Christian mindset. I am just writing this from my brain. It is not targeted at anyone or because of anyone. Now let me make my case.

Firstly. I have no issues with people who have one or two drinks.
Secondly. I know that some alcoholic drinks taste amazing.
Third. I also realize its Australia's culture to binge drink.

Depending on your tolerance, one or two drinks don't really have much of an affect on your judgement. Three drinks, to be frank, normally affects you more than you realize. Four drinks can tip you over the edge. Its once you start to think differently, act differently, and speak differently. That's what I have the issue with. Don't you like to be in control of your body? Don't you appreciate the ability to process emotions and situations? Or are you honestly ok that you may wake up and not remember how far you went last night? I have never and will never let it go that far. It also leaves me with the question, is it truly ok to wake up without any recollection of the night before?

So I am not saying that it isn't a pleasure to drink alcohol. It does give you a nice warm feeling. Some of them taste outstanding (but others are just ew). I understand that it is really easy to drink more than you intended or even realize you are doing. And there is the issue. The thing to remember here is that every drink has a different standard size. You may not even realize how much you are consuming, especially if you are out at the pub. Also, if it tastes that good, it can easy to drink it really quickly, which can make the buzz you get bigger and quicker.

How many of you can agree that Australia is a competitive nation? We are always trying to out do each other! This carries into our culture around booze. There is such a "He drank 5? I'll do six." mindset. I have found people who will admit that they only drank as much as they did cos 'Harry drank that much too!'. And we drink it so quickly! Our culture around drinking, just like our culture around food, is messed. We don't take the time to let our bodies tell us we're full. Ya just gotta keep it going, right?

To sum it up, I don't understand the appeal or loosing control of yourself 'just cos'. I don't understand binge drinking. I don't understand why people are ok with becoming dependent on this substance to feel happy. I don't understand our culture. I don't understand how you can be ok with this either.

I hope one day Australia will develop a better and healthy culture towards alcohol, cos its not the substance itself, its how we use and abuse it.

Comments

  1. I understand that you and many others don't find the need or want for getting drunk.
    But there are so many people who find that it helps then relax and get over stress. There are also many people who really enjoy it and feel that it's worth the after effects.

    So I think that it's fine that you don't want to, and I hope no one ever tries to pressure you. I don't think you should judge others for wanting to get drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope people know me well enough to know that I don't judge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts