Modesty.

There's countless blogs and ideas that revolve around this one simple word. Modesty.

They all seem to say the same message too.
"Remember, it is more important that you uphold an nearly impossible standard, that changes every day and is subject to whatever cultural, religious and social context you find yourself within. And it always must trump your comfort and convenience, even if you're having a day at home (you never know when those JW's will come knocking)."

As I was standing in my new leotard (thanks Mummy!) tonight, I caught myself thinking (again). What are the (for lack of a better word) standards I hold myself accountable to in regards to clothes? I mean, one minute I'm refusing to even try on a bikini (and I always have shorts on over my bathers) but the next I'm leaping around in a leotard? Am I holding double standards?

There is an extreme two faced coin in this world. On one side, everything points towards being the "hottest", "skinniest", "sexiest" thing that men can't get enough of (sorry, but have you seen the magazines?). On the other flip side, skirts get measured to the millimetre and if you dare show any cleavage *tsk tsk tsk*.

I've always been one to wear scarfs to hide the cleavage (may own 23 of them)  and baggy loose long jumpers are this girl's best friend, but what about the tighter fitted, lower cut, black dress that I love?


"Look cute, but hey watch it girl! That's too cute!"

"Dress modestly. But miss, I didn't mean become an 18 year old Grandma."
"Let the world see you have a body... WOAH! Put those boobs away!!"


So where is the line for the baggy jumper, leotard wearing chick?

There's some issues I've got regarding modesty. 1. Its not just a chick thing (Speed-os *cough cogh*). 2. Its become rather judgmental (OMGOSH! Did you see how short those shorts are!). 3. It objectifies us to our bodies. (how I dress must be who I am) 4. Its not overly cross cultural. (Have you see what some tribes in Africa wear? PRACTICALLY NOTHING!) 5. Sexualisation of modesty (After all "Modesty is Hottest", right?)


I can't give you a list of "Modesty's Do and Dont's" (except maybe don't wear jeggins). But let me ask this; What is modesty to you? Manner of dress or matter of heart?


Let's look at what this one radical guy named Paul said.
 "I believe that woman should dress modestly (kosmios, for those who know Greek) with decency, adorning themselves with good deeds, appropriate of those who worship God and not with elaborate hairstyles, gold, pearls or expensive clothes, but ." (paraphrased).

To me, that means it's more to do with the matter I have in my heart.


Comments

Popular Posts